Monday, March 16, 2009

Tarantula and Godzilla reviews

Greetings Groovy Ghoulies!

What a weekend for giant monsters! Still trying to wash the radiation off! Oh well, what's the worst that could happen?

Tarantula was alot of fun to watch again. The movie slowly builds to this giant Spider tearing up a house and attempting to wreck havok on the town. It stars John Agar and I am beginning to think he starred in every monster movie from the 40s and 50s. I'm sure he'll be showing up again. He always looks like he's having fun but not over acting it. The special effects for this are cool, as they used a real spider for most of the scenes. They grew it to epic proportions, and they blend it well into the sets. And yes, Leo G. Carroll's transpormation still scares me. I want to give special thanks to David for pointing out young Clint Eastwood as the fighter pilot towards the end. He does what Clint does best, kick ass! If you like giant monsters, check it out!

We journeyed to Tokyo to check in on Godzilla, King of The Monsters for the 2nd feature. This movie seems like it was made with such care. It almost seems like a smart monster movie or Kaiju as the Japanese call these movies. I think these use a blend of man in suit, stop animation, and puppetry to make Godzilla come alive. I love the shots of him rising out of Tokyo bay. I wonder if they knew what they were starting? Godzilla has always been my favorite and I also hoped he would be one of the features every weekend. I do feel sorry for Big G at the end when the oxygen destroyer is released. A sad end to the first adventure. Was I the only one rooting for him? Nah, couldn't have been.

The government is coming to spray down the drive-in now, but we'll be back tomorrow with two new features. Till then, watch the skies!

2 comments:

  1. Nice reviews. One thing you may not know-- Raymond Burr filmed all of his scenes for "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" in a single day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Didn't know that one> Makes you wonder how many takes they did of each scene. We did one take, ahhh good enough! Print! Raymond Burr was a good actor though. Who knows. I love all the extra trivia. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete