Sunday, March 8, 2009

Creature TRIPLE Feature reviews

Welcome in, Groovy Ghoulies!

I hope your weekend has been a good one! The weather was great yesterday, and it was nice to breath in some fresh Spring air! I know it's not Spring yet, but close enough!

So the first dusk till dawn festival happened yesterday, and I really enjoyed two of the three movies featured.

House of Wax was a lot of fun! I did not watch in the 3D as it originally filmed, but I snickered at their obvious attempts to wow with a new technology from that time. Vincent Price was great. He treats his wax figures as real people, until he is betrayed and his musuem is burned to the ground! A revenge and scarred Price returns with a new musuem and real people as his subjects! I remember bits and pieces of this from when I was a kid, and it's fun watching Price sink into madness. You wonder if he was all there to even begin with. The make-up for the scarred Vincent was good, and the ending will make your blood boil!

Next up was Die Monster Die! This one eluded me as whether I had seen it or not, as it was shown on the original Creature Double Feature. Towards the end, there was a vague familiarity to it. I have grown to love anything with Boris Karloff in it. He was just a great actor. This deals with another family's descent into madness after a meteorite lands in their yard. Nick Adams was good, and it was sad to think in a few short years he would be gone from an accidental overdose. The way this movie was filmed, the exterior shots had a lot of fog. It actuallt felt damp and cold watching it. Best of all, it was shot at Oakley Court. Not far from Hammer Studios and also where much of The Rocky Horror Show was filmed. Can't hide the staircase!

The last feature was ok. The Dunwich Horror didn't jump out at me. Dean Stockwell was disturbing and Sandra Dee was lovely. It just didn't do too much for me. I think the hipple/jumgle people in he fever dreams were too much of a distraction and I would have maybe cut them out.

It has awakened some curiosity in H.P. Lovecraft's writing. So, some good came from it. I will be checking out Barnes and Noble to see what kind of collected works there are.

So, there's the results of the first Creature TRIPLE Feature at the drive-in. I hope you get a chance to see these, as well. Time to go see what will be cooking for this coming weekend's features. I'm guessing we should watch out for atomic bathed terrors this week. Till next time Ghoulies, watch the skies!

2 comments:

  1. I've seen "House of Wax" in 3-D and it's fantastic! Did you happen to notice that Price's mute henchman Igor was none other than Charles Bronson? It was one of his early roles and he was using his real name, Charles Buchinsky. Also, it's noteworthy that the director, Andre De Toth, was blind in one eye and couldn't see the 3-D effects he put on screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles Bronson! That's cool. Thanks for the movie tidbits.

    ReplyDelete