Thursday, April 23, 2009

Previews: Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Horror of Dracula

Double the previews tonight as we get ever closer to what's shaping up to be a great weekend!

Our first feature, "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" was one of those films I waited until I was a teenager to discover. I remember going to Karner Video and Hippo's, of all places, to rent movies and always being drawn to the Horror section. Anyway, there was this movie explosion for me and I was introduced to many of the great '70s and '80s slasher films. And I would like to think if Creature Double Feature had lasted the test of time of the cable expansion, we might have seen these kinds of films make their way into the rotation with the likes of our second feature.

Tobe Hopper made this low budget great in 1974. I don't think he realized he would spawn a franchise that has enjoyed recent success with rebooted remake and prequel. It's based loosely on serial killer Ed Gaines and at times unsettling. It grossed almost $31 million and and has become one of the most influential horror films of our time. Here's the trailer...



From there, we return to the familiar hallowed Hammer Films ground. I hope you can tell I am a huge fan of these films and this is one of my absolute favorites! Anytime Christopher Lee is donning the fangs, it's a good day. But, "The Horror of Dracula" was the first one to pit Peter Cushing against his good friend. Hammer was still breaking ground with their horror films, and this followed up "Curse of Frankenstein" in fact playing as a double feature in some spots. The colors in this film are great. And I just love the atmosphere of these films. Here's a great trailer...



It's going to be a great weekend to hit the drive-in and I hope to see you there! Bring your raincoat as the blood will be flowing freely!

No comments:

Post a Comment